2009/08/31

!!Look At What Just Died!!

I haven't been following What Died Today very frequently of late but I found something very interesting yesterday but didn't have the time to post it.



Sensation
Now for those of you who don't remember this site, Sensation, formally known as Sense was a huge Social Networking site. It was one of the first. It arrived about the same time as Yahoo and has always been the forefront of new ideas within social networking sites. They invented the groups system that both Yahoo Groups and Google Groups use, the ability to send people greeting cards online and the first dynamic database online shop. Sense was always very strange and unique and that was one of the reasons it was so popular. The site was anything but boring and always had lots of interesting things to do. But reading the report, I can see why such a popular site could go under. Sense has always been very strange but quite often it has gone a little too far for most people's tastes and the completely daft questionaire upon sign-up that asked "does this image of Tubgirl (or likewise similarity of the day) offend you" was just off putting to most people. The site kinda got a bad reputation because of its offensive viral content and they never made a distinction between popular and acceptable. I can say it would be an honor for the site to affiliate with us but I think that Sense desperately need some help from people with common sense (no pun intended) before they attempt their next big project. So this high roller is now a no roller. I hope somebody saves this site from destruction because it really is a good site but only if you're not easily offended and, trust me, I'm not offended easily and even some of the stuff there almost made ME hurl.

History Stop
You know, I almost missed this one. At first glance I thought, it's a Geocities site and it looks like it's factual. But when I read on out of interest I found that the site used several PAID Geo accounts to host it. Now I know Geo isn't the best host but the number of accounts was over 150. I thought "Now wait 1 minute. What site could possibly need that much space?" but after close inspection it turns out that most of it is archives. So I read on and I discovered that the site is a huge database for outdated things. You know, like Furbies and Amiga 1200 games. You see, when something starts to go out of fashion, they document absolutely everything about it for future generations. And I mean ABSOLUTELY everything. They had The Troll Prince, that is, a high quality video (non-Youtube) of the whole movie and shit loads of other really old and obscure things. Now the only reason they are going under is they can't afford to keep the site running but they said that will be making a new site where you can just download compressed files rather than read all the stuff on the page. It's not the same but I don't think there's any alternative. In my foolishness, I asked if we could affiliate with them. I don't expect even a reply but it's always a good idea to try isn't it. After all, their site is shutting down so they can't be that high above us surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment