2009/10/22

I FUCKING HATE MICROSOFT!

just keep digging a bigger grave MS



I was on my PC and I left for a second to get my lunch, which was cooking in the oven. When I returned to my computer, meal in hand, mere moments after serving my pizza, my PC had restarted. Luckily I had saved everything I was doing but when you can't leave your PC for 2 minutes without Windows update automatically restarting your PC, there's a serious problem.

So I thought I'd do some research into how annoying Windows Update can be. I found that Windows Update had cost several businesses hundreds of thousands of dollars each. Apparently they had each set a server machine going to process their business's consumer databases. They then found to their horror that the machines had restarted during the process and lost hundreds of customer accounts costing the businesses hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is why most servers nowadays use Linux.

Microsoft said that all their packages come with Windows Update but it is normally disabled and hidden. They said that that particular version sold for business server use still had Windows Update enabled. When they discovered the fault a month later after news reports they soon put an update for that particular version to tell it not to seek updates anymore.

Unfortunately this meant that alot of home PC users were unable to update even if they did it straight from the website. This problem was fixed 9 months later when a service pack was released. Some versions of home PC version windows now no-longer have internet access through broadband. Microsoft have said that they wont fix this problem but if users were to upgrade to Vista it would solve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment